Black Hills Quilt Show
SAVE THE DATE
June 8, 9, and 10, 2023
at The Monument
The 2023 Black Hills Quilt Show will be held June 8-10 in the Rushmore Hall at The Monument in beautiful downtown Rapid City. This show, sponsored by the Black Hills Quilters Guild, will be open for a preview on Thursday, June 8 from 5:00-8:00 PM, on Friday, June 9 from 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM, and on Saturday, June 10 from 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM.
More information about the 2023 show will be added as it becomes avaialble. Come back to this page often to check for updates.
Registration for the 2023 show will open in February
The rules for the 2022 Quilt Show can be found at the folloring link. Rules may be updated for the 2023 show.
There were about 400 competition quilts at the 2022 show. Pictures are available in the Gallery tab on this website.
Special Exhibits: These quilts highlighted some of the activities of the Black Hills Quilters Guild.
- BHQG Just-One-Color Challenge was open to guild members and displayed small quilted objects made from one color of fabric.
- Mona Lisa Art Quilt Group display quilted objects using hand-made India Ink designs on fabric.
- Inspiration Studio displayed Christmas Quilts.
- Heart Quilts displayed Caring Heart Quilts and Thinking-of-You Quilts
- In Memory booths for Carol Doyle and Joan Kettlewell displayed the quilts of our quilters who passed away this year.
Cindy Erickson was the judge for the 2022 show. She became a National Quilting Association Certified Quilt Judge in 1988. She is also a designer, teacher, and author. Cindy's quilts have been shown in AQS, Houston, PIQS, and NQA.
Raffle Quilt and Raffle Basket
There was a Raffle Quilt and and six Raffle Baskets at the 2022 show.
Silent Auction for Monument Health Hospice House
The Black Hills Quilters Guild again sponsored a Silent Auction of Small Quilted Objects and raised $2235 for Monument Health Hospice House. Since 2005, we have raised $40,254 for the Hospice House.
Our vendor spaces are full. Please Contact Us if you are interested in vending at our show. We will contact you if there is a cancellation.
The following vendors were at the 2022 show.
- Bent Pine Woodcraft - Seam rippers, quilt clamps, quilt hangers, ruler holders, quilt ladders, miscellaneous
- Bound To Be Quilting - Original patterns, quilting templates
- Busy Ewe Farm & Fibers - Hand-dyed yarn, handmade wool products, needle felting kits & supplies, fiber
- Carriage Country Quilts - Hand-dyed wool for applique, wool applique patterns, kits, quilt patterns, notions
- Fracked Out Woodcraft - Fractal burned wood products, laser engraved wood products
- Gamill - Longarm quilting machines
- Good Vibrations Quilt Shop - Kits, patterns, books, notions and yardage, Kaffe fabric
- G&P Trading - Laurel Birch fabric, bags, socks, books, novelty fabrics
- Hancy Creations, Inc. - Quilt marking and related items
- JoAnn Hoffman Designs - Paper quilt patterns
- Merry Moose Quilt Shoppe - quilt kits, precuts, clothes ideas
- Piece By Piece - Quilted clothing - shirts, jackets, vests, vintage quilts and linens
- Sew Renewable LLC - Resells fabric sourced from estate sales, auctions, donations; variety of fabric
- Sweet On You - Homemade confections - truffles, cake pops, cookie dough pops, tea bombs
- The Country Shoppe - Raggedy Ann's, penny rugs, patterns, pillows, stitcheries
- The Quilting Cushion - Cushions that fit in the small of your back
- Thimbles For You - Sterling silver thimbles and sewing tools
- Thru Our Eyes Photograph - Wild life photography
- Tracy Trevethan Wool Designs - Hand-dyed wool, wool applique patterns and kits
The Inspiration Studio offered classes and demos during the Quilt Show. They also provide information about upcoming learning events, such as the Quilting in the Hills Retreat offered by the Black Hills Quilters Guild in the fall.
The Black Hills Quilters Guild In Action
This area of the Quilt Show featured the activities of The Black Hills Quilters Guild. Quilts were offered for sale, visitors could sit-and-sew for a while to learn about the art of quilt making, and information about the many ways our guild contributes to the community was displayed.
- Project Warmth offered a variety of quilted items for sale. The proceeds of these sales help purchase batting, fabric, and quilting services for the quilts that are donated to a variety of local charities.
- Open Sew offered people a chance to sit and sew for a few minutes or a few hours and learn the basics of quilting. Machines, supplies, and helpers were provided by the BHQG.
- Caring Heart Quilts are given to our quilt guild sisters who have experienced a serious health concern or lost a spouse or child. Small Thinking of You (TOY) blocks are sent to our quilt guild sisters when they are sick or have suffered a loss or sometimes just to say Thank You. Examples of both of these types of quilts were displayed.
- Boots for Troops are Christmas Stockings that are filled with snacks and small gifts and sent to our deployed Troops during the holidays. Examples of these stockings were displayed.
- Pet Beds are made with scraps of fabric and batting that are leftover from making quilts and are donated to the local Humane Society. This keeps these materials out of landfill and provides a soft place to sleep for the animals at the shelter.
- In Memory Displays honor our quilt guild sisters who have passed away during the previous year. We thank them for their contributions to quilting and to our guild. These includeed a display of some of thier quilt creations.
- Quilters Rest is a place to sit and rest for a few minutes or a few hours while waiting for your spouse or friends to finish looking at quilts and shopping.
A Celebration of Quilting
SAVE THE DATE: June 19, 2023
This event celebrates the completion of our quilt show and the quilters who worked hard to make it a success. This event is tentatively scheduled for Monday, June 19, at Faith Lutheran Church. There will be more information in Spring, 2023.There will also be a short business meeting following this event including election of officers for the next year.
A Special Thanks to our Sponsors
We are most appreciative of all of our sponsors who donated toward helping us produce a quality quilt show and keep the cost down for the attendees. If you would like to become a sponsor for our next show, please consider donating toward this purpose. If you need additional information Contact Us
2022 Sponsors are listed below.
- The Sewing Center/Fabric City
- Quilt Connection, Etc.
SAVE THE DATE for our future quilt shows
June 8, 9, and 10, 2023
June 6, 7, and 8, 2024
June 5, 6, and 7, 2025
June 4, 5, and 6, 2026